Public Works

Keith At WorkChanging LightsSnow PlowSnow Plow
Anthony Sands
       The Public Works Department is dedicated to providing a variety of services to the citizens and visitors of North Kansas City. This is the spot to find information about street repairs, snow and ice removal, trash pickup, mapping services, water main breaks or anything else that Public Works provides. Contact us at 816-274-6004 with any questions or concerns you have.
Public Works Director
Anthony Sands


Public Works Divisions

City Hall
       water services          municipal 
Public Works Administration 
The Administration side of Public Works is responsible for engineering services, GIS and mapping services, public information, trash pickup issues, and much more!
  Water / Wastewater Services
Water and Wastewater Services is exactly what it sounds like. This department provides clean water to our city and moves the wastewater out
  Municipal Services
This department is responsible for the maintenance of all public buildings and public areas including street maintenance.


Do I need a building permit?

A building permit is generally required for all projects except:

  • One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one– and two– family dwellings.

Our detailed Building Permit Guide should answer most questions and will guide you through the application process. Please call the Community Development Department at 816-274-6006 for additional information.

How do I set up my trash pickup account

North Kansas City provides trash collection to all non-commercial properties through Jim's Disposal. Please contact Public Works at 816-274-6004 to setup service and to receive your wheeled trash container. If you have any complaints, issues or need to report a missed pickup, please contact Public Works.

How do I set up a new water utility account

Come by City Hall or call us at 8164-274-6000 to setup your water account. There is a deposit required when you open your account: $50 for residential or $100 for commercial accounts. Deposits are refunded when you close your account.

How do I report a water main break

To report a water main break, please call the water department at 816-274-6022 immediately. After hours, please call the police non-emergency phone at 816-274-6010.

What do I do if there is a problem with my water bill

City Hall handles all billing issues. Please call between 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday.

Where do I pay my water bill

We have multiple payment options:

  • Mail a check or money order to:
    City Hall
    2010 Howell Street
    North Kansas City, MO 64116
  • Drop it off at the above address. There is a night drop in front of City Hall if you come outside of regular hours.
  • Pay online here

How do I report a pothole

Go here to fill out an online form to report a pothole or call Public Works at 816-274-6004 during regular hours. 

Who maintains the trees in NKC

The City contracts with a 3rd party contractor to maintain city trees in the Parks and City right-of-ways on an as needed basis.  Typically you will see crews out trimming in the fall making preparation for the winter months ahead and again in the spring as trees begin to bloom.  They trim low branches and remove hangers over driveway and sidewalk areas.

Who do I talk to about planning / zoning issues

Planning and Zoning is a function of the Community Development department. Please visit their website here for more information about planning and zoning.

City Hall
2010 Howell St
North Kansas City, MO 64116

Phone 816-274-6000

Regular Hours:
Monday - Friday
8am to 5pm

North Kansas City | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation.